Sign in to follow this  
Mewmew

Can't use same name again after recent patch?

In the past and up to a few days ago, I always would name my character the same name as my last one after I died.  The game would end up automatically putting a number after my last name when I did so, so for instance if my first character was Mewmew (and my house name is also Mewmew), after I died the next one I made named Mewmew would be "Mewmew Mewmew II" and after that one died the next would be "Mewmew Mewmew III" and so on.  I'd just type the same name in, and the game would be the one putting in the "II" "III" "IV" etc.  Today it shows as if it's putting the number in after my name like it used to, but it's telling me that my name is in use and won't move past where I put in my name (but I died, so it's no longer in use, and the system used to always let us use our same previous names and would just inject a number afterwards as mentioned).

Is this a new change done on purpose, or some bug that came about because of changing the name check system to check when you first put in the name instead of at the end of character creation?

If I remember correctly the game was reacting quite badly for some people when they used the same name for multiple characters, that might be why they removed the ability to use the same name, I'm pretty sure they'll add it back once it will be fixed.

but these are only speculations... nothing official

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Retromastery said:

If I remember correctly the game was reacting quite badly for some people when they used the same name for multiple characters, that might be why they removed the ability to use the same name, I'm pretty sure they'll add it back once it will be fixed.

but these are only speculations... nothing official

Though we still could right up until the patch that changed the point in character creation where it did a name check, that's why I'm wondering.  I always used the same name without issue, though I guess I could have just been lucky.

I'm unsure if "Players Helping Players" was really the right place to post this since I was wondering if it was a bug or a purposeful change (it was my error posting it here), though I do appreciate the reply, thanks :D 

I've gone over the previous patch notes and there is nothing mentioned of a change to being able to use the same name, though it could be a side change that just wasn't mentioned, it also could be an issue that popped up with other changes they made.  I guess I need to make this same post in bugs to make sure.

Edited by Mewmew