Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hh_katherine

Charmed, We're Sure - A Beginner's Guide to Charms and Sockets

Recommended Posts

Though sockets and charms were first added to the game back in April, we’re introducing a new set and wanted to review what sockets and charms are, and how they work.
 
image.png


How do sockets work?

Starting with Tier 6 equipment, there is a chance that an item will have a socket. Weapons can have up to 3 sockets; while armor, boots, rings, and amulets can have up to 2 sockets. Both dropped items and crafted items can have sockets. In addition, the Pristine Iris Mounting is a rare dropped item that can be used to add a socket to an item (assuming the item isn't already at its max number of sockets). By themselves, sockets don't have any benefit - but they can be used to hold charms.


What do charms do?

If you have a charm, you may be able to place it into a socket to receive a small bonus that allows you to customize this gear to your preferred play style. Previously, charms only provided elemental affinity, a benefit that granted extra damage and damage reduction against some types of enemies and a chance to apply a debuff on your attacks. With this update, you can now also find charms that provide bonuses to Buff Duration, Critical Score, Critical Damage, Health Regeneration, Movement Speed or Rate of Attack.

 

Why use charms?

Our goal for charms is to provide a way for players to customize their gear either to their play style or to the challenge they are about to face. And though the bonuses may seem small, a player can have as many as 11 charms equipped at a time, and together those bonuses can add up quickly.


How do I combine charms with sockets?

Placing a charm into a socket requires a crafting action that can be done at one of the crafting tables in the Tower settlement. Beyond the basic requirement that the item have a socket and the player has a charm in their inventory, the total level of all charms socketed into an item cannot exceed the level of that item. For example, if you have a level 5 Amulet of the Antecedent with 2 sockets, you could place one level 3 charm and one level 2 charm into the amulet, but you could not place two level 3 charms.

 

How do I obtain charms?

Charms start at level 1 and can get as high as level 10. While the lower level charms can be dropped by elite enemies, dangerous chests and bosses, the higher level charms have to be crafted from lower level charms.

 

How do I create more powerful charm combinations?

By combining 5 charms of the same level at a crafting station you will be awarded a charm that is one level higher. And though all of the charms need to be of the same level, they don't need to have the same bonus; the resulting charm bonus will be chosen from the component charms. For example, if you had 5 level 3 charms, 3 of them were Critical Score and 2 of them were Movement Speed, and you combined them you would get a level 4 charm that had a 60% chance of being a Critical Score charm and a 40% chance of being a Movement Speed charm. If all 5 charms have the same bonus, then the new charm will have a 100% chance of receiving that bonus.


 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 example, if you had 5 level 3 charms, 3 of them were Critical Score and 2 of them were Movement Speed, and you combined them you would get a level 4 charm that had a 60% chance of being a Critical Score charm and a 40% chance of being a Movement Speed charm. If all 5 charms have the same bonus, then the new charm will have a 100% chance of receiving that bonus.

 

Well this is a game changer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×