Sign in to follow this  
9R_RyanJ

Ancestral Legacies changes, now and upcoming

Earlier today an update to Ancestral Legacies went live that has been in the works for a number of weeks now. That update was designed to do two things: make lower level Ancestral Legacies more valuable and bring down the overall effectiveness of higher level Ancestral Legacies. The second part of this in particular is what I want to dive into with a little more detail.

Right now, the most difficult content we have is the Conduit of Fire raid and the Well. In the case of the Conduit of Fire, we never intended for it to be something that a player could easily solo. For the Well, we never intended it to be something players could survive for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Yet, in both cases we have players doing both of those things.

This is really unhealthy for the game. Being able to survive for a long time in the Well means that players are getting large amounts of Valr, which is allowing them to increase the power of their Legacies too quickly. It's a feedback loop that gets ugly really fast. And on the Conduit side, if players are clearing that content easily they are getting high level drops easily that have no value to them. So, they put them on the auction house for cheap, undermining the difficulty of the game for other players.

We've made a number of changes to try to combat this, and more are on the way. But those changes simply weren't enough. Simply increasing the difficulty of the Conduit of Fire can only go so far before it becomes impossible for new players to engage with it. So while I never want to implement broad nerfs like this, and we knew it would not be well received, I felt it was necessary.

But this isn't where the story ends. Ancestral Legacies are one of the most important features of our game, but right now we don't feel they add enough interest. They add power, certainly, but we want Ancestral Legacies to be more like a build system. We want them to define how a character plays and we want multiple classes to have multiple play styles depending on their Ancestral Legacy choices.

To do this we are going to be performing a massive overhaul of the Ancestral Legacies in January. While the details are still being finalized, in broad strokes we want to take some of the benefits of Ancestral Legacies and move them to equipment (this might allow us to bring back things like Rally and Vampiric which were becoming too difficult to balance with a range of 50 levels) and add new Legacies that work more like a sub-class system.

So, between now and then keep your eyes on the forums as we’ll be asking things like: “What other forms do you think a Druid should be able to turn into?” or “What other constructs do you think a Geomancer should be able to deploy?”

It should be fun and I look forward to the continued evolution of Survived By into something bigger and better than we ever imagined it would be.

Thanks

• Thanks 5

On 11/14/2018 at 1:31 PM, 9R_RyanJ said:

Right now, the most difficult content we have is the Conduit of Fire raid and the Well. In the case of the Conduit of Fire, we never intended for it to be something that a player could easily solo.

This. This right here is a little bit of a painful one. Easy to solo; no, of course not. But impossible to solo, why? And yes, I understand, some players are showing that you are able to solo the conduit. While completely maxed out, including gear. With maxed out damage reduction legacies. On a tank class. Taking 56 minutes. Now, I completely love harbringer, but there is absolutely no way I will be able to take him to the Conduit of Fire as a more lone-wolf player. Yes, I play with one friend on occasion, but even then seeing as how the difficulty has ramped up, it still will be extremely difficult to complete the conduit with just us. Now, of course, you can say to invite more people. Here's the problem 

I enjoy playing lone-wolf style in MMO's as it create a distinct challenge to become a top-level player. It takes a lot of skill to do, but with how things are looking now, it will simply take a large amount of time running in, killing a few mobs, pulling back to heal when inevitably I get hit, and then running back in to continue the cycle. Sometimes, throwing time out the window in a game is counterproductive to the developers and the community. People work, have school, and some of us have lives (hah, that's a joke) and that really pulls away from the likelihood of them playing this game. Time is a valuable asset that people see in chunks rather than as a whole. If it takes a player 11 minutes to complete one mission in a shooter, that person see's that as a fast-paced game that they are able to bring into a hazardous life with a crazy schedule. 11 minutes is the amount of time it takes me to get up, take a shower, brush my teeth, find my outfit, put it on, and get into my truck to go to work. Throwing down 45 minutes for one dungeon, with a lot of your time sitting around waiting to regenerate health is absurd. People will find it to be slow-paced and clunky. People with tight schedules will start the game off strong, coming back for more, and then hit that lovely difficulty curve, except it's a time curve. In the current stage of society, people are always clamoring over their time even though they waste most of it with trivial garbage. They will slowly ween themselves off of games that take so long to progress with little to entertain them in-between stages.

Thankfully, we have betas just for this. Testing out what people like and don't like. I'd prefer to see skill be more valued over patience. Learning shot patterns and how to dodge them effectively is the primary sign of skill in bullet-hell games. The problem comes when you're in a dungeon that has lower end mobs that do half of your health in one shot even with great gear on. Leave that to the boss, as the boss' shot pattern is the one that should be the most complex.

I'm sorry I really lost my train of thought so there it goes

5 hours ago, Skate said:

And yes, I understand, some players are showing that you are able to solo the conduit. While completely maxed out, including gear. With maxed out damage reduction legacies. On a tank class. Taking 56 minutes. 

The sentinel in question did the conduit run in about 6 minutes. 

56 minute run was after the nerfs to gear and buffs to enemies.

14 hours ago, Ssslither said:

The sentinel in question did the conduit run in about 6 minutes. 

56 minute run was after the nerfs to gear and buffs to enemies.

My bad. Post was made during sleep deprivation. I was referring to the run post nerf

On 11/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, 9R_RyanJ said:

It should be fun and I look forward to the continued evolution of Survived By into something bigger and better than we ever imagined it would be.

As someone who's talked a lot about game systems and making things more interesting and diverse (you probably remember the charms post I made) I'm very, very excited for this. Honestly I'm VERY apprehensive about launching open beta without being a bit more feature complete, but I see the reasons to do so.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update on this - we have started developing a very exciting outline for this system which we'll be able to share with you in an upcoming developer Stream. I can't spoil the fun quite yet, but players will have a lot more control over how each character they create really feels. ALs will have a bigger impact than ever, and we'll definitely want feedback on our plans once we can reveal them! 

• Like 3

I could do conduit in 1 min/3 min on my alchemist vampiric and on harbringer with rally in the same time. I can still do It wih harbringer solo really fast, because the special skill has a long range and don't need to aim, being easy to avoid stuff. With alchemist is hard without lifesteal. But I agree with @Skate, and I like to play lonewolf style. Those balance things are very difficult to do, I think that a completely overhaul need a lot of tests to be efficient in all levels, fully t10 geared and relics and new players. Don't know how is ur schedule, but AL should be changed before wipe for all level players test It and see possibles exploits. But hope all works :D

On 11/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, 9R_RyanJ said:

So, between now and then keep your eyes on the forums as we’ll be asking things like: “What other forms do you think a Druid should be able to turn into?” or “What other constructs do you think a Geomancer should be able to deploy?”

Thanks

It would be a great idea for druid to take a "fast" form, "tank" form, "more dps" form, etc. So it can be suited in different scenarios! Form is only limited by creativity! As for Geomancer it would be great to take @hh_katherine form! so I can have three of her instead of one! ;););):x:x:x

im also up for more content, at point where you just farm t9 just to craft t10 and wait 24hours for each piece the game becomes really dull and boring...

in fact i dont even need to go to t10 like ever, you can buy everything from ah and skip it completely.

And once you get t10 gear the only improvement you can do is like farm t9 for ~2hours so you can roll on prefix upgrade of your weapon, which also seems not meaningful enough to even launch the game.

Edited by Omgzpwnd

On 12/24/2018 at 12:59 PM, LaTrailer said:

add more content please. you cant just buff conduit and the well over and over

And who cares about conduit its shit loot anyway. I've done it 30 times in a row with the same ppl and we got 0 except some crap relics! this cant be ur vision of the highest tier dungeon to get some materials from the boss and relics thats bullshit

Hey there! We definitely plan on expanding the content in the Heartland and adding a lot to our end game, but first we want to make sure that our game's core systems undergo some much-needed revisions and improvements so it's in the best possible place before we add more raids, etc.

55 minutes ago, hh_katherine said:

Hey there! We definitely plan on expanding the content in the Heartland and adding a lot to our end game, but first we want to make sure that our game's core systems undergo some much-needed revisions and improvements so it's in the best possible place before we add more raids, etc.

No amount of game core's revisions and improvements are gonna sustain current playerbase if the only reason to launch the game is to click crafting button once in 24 hours.

7 hours ago, Omgzpwnd said:

No amount of game core's revisions and improvements are gonna sustain current playerbase if the only reason to launch the game is to click crafting button once in 24 hours.

Pickpocket always includes in core ...