GHmate

Notes about the monetisation and the new player experience.

Hi!

Let's start with my point: I think the game / UI is pushing too hard on monetization. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the current system. This is a fair free to play model, and players can earn the premium currency without spending a penny. All I say is that the electrum purchase screens are all over the place. Right at the start menu there is a huge 'buy electrum' button. Then after messing around in the town, newbies will see electrum everywhere. dyes, skins, tombstones, thorns gear, all these things selling for the premium currency. After some progress they will find the 'craft now' button, inventory, vault space purchases and so on. Even when they die, they are greeted by electrum purchases: marking stuff for kin, additional legacy-slots, additional character-slots, unlocking classes and so on. Some of these can be unlocked via game-play directly (daily login, events and the Well (which is not well-documented at all. Pun intended.)), the others can be earned by trading bloodstones for electrum. But this fact is not pushed into the players' face as strong as the "purchase electrum" message is.
Players are super sensitive for microtransactions and "pay to win". There are tons of crappy, scammy games nowdays that are pushing for heavy micro-transactions and exploitative buisness models. And it is clear that players had enough of that crap, seeing the serious backlash on EA's lootboxes for example. Survived By is not one of these, but for newcomers it seems like it is. Just looking at the new legacy limitations: It was mentioned in the patch notes that it's possible to earn additional (free) slots in the Well, but I couldn't find anything about this written on the in-game screen. It looks like just another money-grab. I would suggest to communicate the in-game electrum trading aspect and the unlockable content through gamelpay (skins, legacy slots) as well as the real-money purchase is communicated right now. Just to tell new players that it is fine if they don't want to or can't spend money on the game.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

100% agree with this. Even though the game is not p2w, it seems like it's trying reeeeally hard to look like it right from the start. Pretty sure that's a turn-off for many new players.

Thats a very fair and super helpful perspective - thanks @GHmate ! I definitely know what you're talking about, we wouldn't want players getting the wrong idea. I'll bring this back to the team and see if there's a way we can try and scale some of this back a bit to be more welcoming to new players.

• Like 1