Sign in to follow this  
HauteBanana

Geomancer Improvements

I started playing Survived By on early access launch. Since then, I've had around ~30 or more hours on geomancer alone and have solo'd every dungeon in the game except for t10. 

Geomancer IMO is a really fun class but is in need of some tweaks to make it more viable. In a stack ranked list, for the average player geomancer is the second worst class in the game, only above druid which is completely unplayable at the moment in end game content. From having been a main geomancer, here are my observations and various suggestions on how to improve the class. 

Observation: Geomancer's can play much more risky than most classes due to the turrets autoblocking bullets. At end game, each turret can block 1 bullet with a very brief invincibility frame. Turrets also shoot projectiles but these currently do negligible damage. Given that the turrets have limited use outside of bullet blocking, the majority of the geomancer legacy cards are useless. There are also some mechanical issues with the turrets such as them getting stuck behind walls. 

The class currently is not rewarded for risky play (up close) but turrets also don't do enough damage to try and keep them alive. Tuning the ability to reward risky play would be interesting as the game is currently missing a up close shotgun class. Alternatively, the ability can also be revamped to encourage long distance play through having high damage droppable turrets or auto-locking projectile turrets with increased damage. 

Example: In t10 harbringers and alchemists can do long distance ability damage and sentinels provide AOE bullet block with infiltrators scouting plus up close ability burst damage. Geomancers turrets don't do enough damage long distance (or any really) to justify using the ability. I usually play up close with a penta wavy but arguably sentinels can do this better while providing team wide anti-bullet coverage. Geomancers are currently like a more mobile but significantly gimped version of sentinel.   

---

These are the immediate issues that should be addressed:

#1:  Give turrets the same move speed as the geomancer. At end game, you walk much faster than the turrets. This leads to the turrets disappearing off screen and getting stuck behind things. Alternatively, just always have them circle the geomancer

#2:  Rework all of the turret related geomancer cards. The AOE splash causes massive lag for the entire party in dungeons while doing no material damage. The damage reduction is useless as each turret only absorbs one shot end game anyway. The poison DOT from turrets also does no material damage. 

#3:  Taking damage while the turrets are active leads to screen briefly flashing red as if the character was hit normally. This is extremely confusing because you can't immediately differentiate between being hit with turrets active, and just being hit normally. 

#4:  Turret ability requires manual reactivation when all crystals are broken. The sentinel has a AOE shield that blocks all bullets for the entire party as long as energy lasts. Given the limited nature of geo's ability, why can't it also automatically reactivate or be contingent on energy availability? 

---

Suggestions: 

As turrets are currently meat shields that do limited damage, the ability should either optimize the meat shield portion, or, damage. Examples would be:

#1:  On the meat shield end, turret projectile can be removed completely. Instead, each crystal that is up should provide a bonus to stats. For example, each crystal provides a 10% damage buff. Ideally, these crystals automatically reactive given energy availability

#2:  On the damage end, maybe have the turrets be droppable. This would be similar to the alchemist splash poison except the droppable would be a turret that targets monsters in its vicinity. Would be cool to have this droppable turret take aggro priority from monsters. 

#3:  Just substantially increase the turret damage. Maybe short range turret shots, or, auto targeting long range shots.

#4:  Alternatively each turret could provide a party buff / enemy debuff. That way, the geomancer is incentivized to not break crystals as his party damage would suffer as a result. 

Happy to discuss any of the above. 

I agree, I also think there should be a counter somewhere on the screen for how many turrets remain. Right now, especially in the well, turrets can become completely lost in the chaos, and I'm unable to tell whether or not I have any. This has gotten me killed several times where I thought I had turrets when I didn't. 

I don't mind the lower damage on turrets - that DPS still places you near Sentinel. The turrets lagging behind is a major issue though. I would rather have the turrets always circling your player instead of following you. It would increase your dps and make them easier to aim, getting you closer to being a personal sentinel that is easier to manage energy with.

Hey there! This is super cool - I really appreciate the careful breakdown of what needs changing followed by suggestions on how to fix it. That's the most helpful kind of feedback! One possible change that may come with our Ancestral Legacy update is the ability to create a subclass of Geomancer that manipulates these turrets in different ways. I'd definitely be interested in your thoughts on how different configurations for the turrets would impact these issues!

I like the geomancer in the current turret state,but I was wondering if we could have some kind of notification about our turrets remaining like under hp bar or under energy bar like 3 gem icons to let us know when we are down to the last one,when a lot is going on its very hard to visually see when ur turrets are gone and I love the fact I can use my turrets as a defensive measure and a attack but when you think you have a turret to take a hit for you and surprise! you don't lol I just think it would be a helpful addition to the class in general.

• Thanks 1

I know this thread is for geomancer but thinking on it now some kind of icon or timer would be great for all classes like with current energy how many times you can use harb spec,or how long sentinels shield will last<---- I feel like the sentinels timer or shield one would be tricky because it has a lot of variables but the team you guys have is great im sure there is something you guys/gals can think of 😀 

That would be super cool! Generally I just keep an eye on the energy bar and try to get a feel for it, but it would be neat if there was a clearer indicator of how much energy would be required to use your special once.

When I first heard about the Geomancer, I kinda pictured that it'd place down a decent sized stationary turret that would auto fire at enemies, probably able to take a couple of hits until it was destroyed. The three 1-hit turrets were enough to put me off the class a little bit for a couple of the reasons above. Most particularly the lag thing.

• Thanks 1