Hammerhold

Dungeon Host Limitation

Please make it so when someone opens a cave with THEIR key the boss can't be engaged until the host makes it to the boss room. I've been getting a little bit of a chip on my shoulder from high tier players speed clearing it and I receive no exp or drops. That or make the rewards/exp global in dungeon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammerhold said:

Please make it so when someone opens a cave with THEIR key the boss can't be engaged until the host makes it to the boss room. I've been getting a little bit of a chip on my shoulder from high tier players speed clearing it and I receive no exp or drops. That or make the rewards/exp global in dungeon.

I think shouldn't. You can go to the order server for private run or run with friend

Global drop/exp would make it easy to power level players however getting boosted  1->25 is not an issue at all anyways. So this wouldnt break the game and at the same time would be easiest possible fix.

What happens if host opens the dungeon but then he goes afk or dc? the dungeon would be blocked. It would create more issues tham global solution.

Global drop/exp is easy and least troublesome solution.

Penalty for not killing as team is much better solution. The game mechanics need to encourage cooperation or it will kill the player base.

13 hours ago, quipham said:

I think shouldn't. You can go to the order server for private run or run with friend

Server switching to properly progress is stupid. Think before talking.

12 hours ago, not a cockroach said:

Global drop/exp would make it easy to power level players however getting boosted  1->25 is not an issue at all anyways. So this wouldnt break the game and at the same time would be easiest possible fix.

What happens if host opens the dungeon but then he goes afk or dc? the dungeon would be blocked. It would create more issues tham global solution.

Global drop/exp is easy and least troublesome solution.

It's a temporary solution, I would personally prefer a party system or a prompt to make a dungeon public or not. Alternatively, a private dungeon instance with only added friends allowed to enter- but they don't want to make a party system of any kind it seems. I'd rather solo at this point if that's the only thing I COULD do. If the host AFKs just leave and open your own dungeon, or give us a party system/private instance option.

10 hours ago, Keie said:

Penalty for not killing as team is much better solution. The game mechanics need to encourage cooperation or it will kill the player base.

That's an interesting thing to consider, but that still leaves room for griefing.

• Like 1

Hi there! I agree - we definitely don't want players who are high level sniping dungeon bosses and XP from tier-appropriate players. Our plan is to implement a restriction this month where dungeons can only be accessed by players within +/- 2 levels of the person who opened it. We also want to incentivize players to unlock dungeons rather than camping and waiting for them to be open, so we're looking at adding some additional benefit to the player who opens the dungeon. Finally, we want to make sure that folks are still able to play with their friends, even if they are under-levelled -- so one possibility is making a workaround where the +/-2 rule doesn't apply to players on the friends list of the person who unlocked the dungeon.

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have any more ideas.

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, hh_katherine said:

Hi there! I agree - we definitely don't want players who are high level sniping dungeon bosses and XP from tier-appropriate players. Our plan is to implement a restriction this month where dungeons can only be accessed by players within +/- 2 levels of the person who opened it. We also want to incentivize players to unlock dungeons rather than camping and waiting for them to be open, so we're looking at adding some additional benefit to the player who opens the dungeon. Finally, we want to make sure that folks are still able to play with their friends, even if they are under-levelled -- so one possibility is making a workaround where the +/-2 rule doesn't apply to players on the friends list of the person who unlocked the dungeon.

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have any more ideas.

I understand the concern of higher level players speed clearing lower level dungeons, but the fix that was implemented may have had some unintended consequences. Since I started playing SB, most of my time has been spent near other players whether that's outside running around together or joining a big group to clear dungeons. However, since the new dungeon mechanic, I have been playing mostly solo since the patch. Having the dungeons set up this way really restricts how players play with each other.

I was helping a new player last night. He was in the first area at level 3, I had him follow me through the t2 area into t3 and down to the dungeon. We ran that dungeon together and got him leveled up to 10. As we made our way to the t4 area, I leveled up to 15 (due to exp buffs) while he was still only level 10 or 11. When he opened the door to T4 I was not allowed in by 1 level. I had been helping him with no problems until this one level difference. This has happened several times before, just wanted to give a specific example.

Potential solutions I see, 

-Require a key or some sort of drop found in the dungeon that allows the boss area to be accessed. (This would encourage more exploration and killing mobs instead of running past them)

-Make all dungeons more difficult, apply an aura to players that are close to each other that nullifies the difficulty increase. Anyone who runs off solo will have a hard time staying alive while those in the group will be just fine.

-Make boss invincible until other players arrive in the arena

-Boost drop and XP rates for the boss fight equal to the number of players nearby when the boss dies, incentivize waiting for other players

-Global boss XP and drops inside the dungeon

I will try and brainstorm more ideas as the day goes on.

Please use this as a soundboard for anyone else that would like to see other alternatives. If you have ideas, share them! 

Edit: wording

Edited by Mahj
  • Like 1

-Require a key or some sort of drop found in the dungeon that allows the boss area to be accessed. (This would encourage more exploration and killing mobs instead of running past them)

I kind of like this, but I don't know if it solves this specific problem.  It's then a race for whoever manages to find the key, and some people will just wait at boss doors, once they find their initial path didn't result in the key.  It is an interesting idea to promote exploration.  However, there isn't much reward to exploring the dungeons right now.  If implemented as the dungeons currently are, it would just be seen as an annoyance.

-Make boss invincible until other players arrive in the arena

The boss invincibility seems like it would be a griefing nightmare...

-Boost drop and XP rates for the boss fight equal to the number of players nearby when the boss dies, incentivize waiting for other players

This is most likely where they are currently leaning.  No negatives if you don't wait, but make the benefits outweigh the cost of waiting or soloing.

Thank you for the followup ideas, folks! This stuff is super helpful, I've jotted 'em down and will see if these are things we can work into our dungeon balance.

• Like 1