Sephos

Invasion/Resurgence Review

Hi everyone, if you don't know me my name is Sephos and I've played this game since Early Access Launched. This is my review on the Invasion/Resurgence event we have going on at the present time.

This is the best content I've done since first playing this game. I've never had this much fun as I am right now in this game. My favorite part that wasn't really shown in the dev stream was the difficulty of T6+ invasions. Some information that I want the devs to know is that invasions weren't being ran and feedback seemed negative, until the news broke out of how exciting the later tiers were because of how scary they could be.  T7 deals 850 damage to me on the catapults large lobbed fireball shot. That puts me at 150 HP. Based on the calculation for T8 damage, it would insta kill me with maxed gear. I have been looking for something challenging and this really excites me. Thank you for this content!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After talking with some great friends about the words I've said here, I would like to add:  I think this event is fun and well designed. That doesn't erase the other problems which I have posted already, and this event can NOT be applied to the entirety of the game.

• Like 2

As discussed in discord, my experience with the new content is a bit different.

Some of the general issues I have found:

End of Event is really unclear.

Having experienced the event a few times now, I can tell when it is over (I have loot and the Commander Text returns to normal), but there really isn't much of a cinematic or satisfying end to the event.

Defenders should be more noticeable

The only reason I noticed them was because they were stuck in the wall 😛

Bag drop is easy to miss

Again might relate to an anti-climatic finish to the event

Local Commander has a limit on donations and it does not accept raw materials or catalysts!  

My understanding was one of the major goals of this event was to consume excess low level material and catalysts.

Low level T2 resurgence event did not attack me (level 25) or the Local Commander

I'm not sure if this was a first event and was just bugged or because I was too high for the area, but none of the NPCS attacked myself or the commander.

Event Message does not seem to always appear in chat

I'm not sure if it shows if I am in an instance or there was some other communication problem affecting chat

No way to see where event is if you miss initial message

It becomes "whack a mole" travelling from zone to zone looking for the event if you miss the initial message or change characters and forget the coordinates.  Perhaps turn the active shrine "x" green?  Also turn a disabled shrine red?

X,Y coordinates in guard message say the string X,Y instead of coordinates

This next portion may be a bit bias based off my expectations and play style.  I was able to complete the T2 event in a giant mass, as well as a T2 event solo.  Again, during it, none of the mobs ever attacked.  When I tried to judge the difficulty of a T5 event, I ended up dying to what I assume was the very first shot of the catapult.  It was not initially attacking, so I walked out to meet it.  What I assume happened is the very first action was this "SpecialAttack" fireball, which killed me instantly before I saw any movement or the projectile itself.

Using data from the WIKI,  this T5 catapult can hit almost as hard as the T10 goliath.  The other attacks are within "typical" limits.  This doesn't seem great.  The developers did listen to many players, difficult content was added. However, the risk doesn't seem to match the reward.  Also, and this may sound unduly harsh,  I feel like simply adding a "mega" projectile without any bells and whistles is the minimum acceptable method to add difficulty to a fight.  It may be a much needed shot of adrenaline for geared players like Sephos who have grown bored in T10, but I don't think this is something that will draw new players in or bring back those that left. (Though to be fair, I'm not sure this specific event was meant to do either of those things)

It could be argued the catapult has an "ultimate" attack that should be avoided at all costs. This might be interesting, however, in my mind, it's not damage alone that should distinguish an attack.  An ultimate attack has some kind of build up.  Something that screams for everyone to backup, get away, or take some other action!  The catapult should be glowing, sirens should be going off.  The catapults hair should grow and turn blonde, all while screaming "Kamehameha".  Instead,  *plop*.  Like any other attack, it simply launches. There isn't any indicator the special attack is coming, and from reports it may simply fire it on a predictable cooldown (unconfirmed).  Also, it may even travel faster than the other projectiles it fires (again unconfirmed)

Having the player react to certain events and patterns would likely be an ideal game play feature.  It's hard to do with larger waves of mobs, as you can't guarantee where a players focus will be. However,  on bosses and events like this, the opportunity is there.  There is already a lot on the todo list, but I'd like to see many of the bosses revisited to add more reactionary mechanics and boss phases, rather than more of the same monotonous "fire and dodge".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Players are also reporting that the numbers reported in the chat notification don't correspond to the coordinates displayed when hovering over a shrine.  I can't confirm this, as I am still steering clear and plotting my revenge for the catapults  😈

• Haha 2

@BreadSlice Good read and overall I agree with your points of problems with the event, we do differ on play style for sure. This is what T10+ should feel like, not necessarily this event. But if they applied this event to T10+ that would also not be the way I would choose to improve difficulty as we've talked about in discord. 

Still thinking heavily about what I wanted the event to be. I don't like to give criticism without at least some explanation, and if possible some alternative idea.  Well, the alternative scenario popped into my mind.  I'll show you the exact inspiration.  Go ahead and watch only the first few seconds from where it starts.  I'll wait.

https://youtu.be/sbjzHycJRls?t=43

No, not orcs and dwarves!  Basically, a more elaborate mechanic for the catapult to fire.  I don't believe the catapult has a fuse like a bomb or cannon, so perhaps a very large NPC with a big cleaver to "cut" the catapult loose?

1.  The catapult spawns

2.  The local commander yells something along the lines of "That large.. (Chimera?) is headed for the catapult!  Stop him at all costs!"

3.  This triggers a waypoint like marker to the mob.

4.  The mob moves very slowly, but has a large amount of health.

5. If the mob makes it to the catapult, the ultimate goes off.  Big damage.  Big burst concussive blast of fire from where it lands.

6.  To increase difficulty, multiple catapults or multiple "runners" can be added.

7.  Smaller adds that can "heal" the runner could also be considered.

Even better would be the addition of some percentage based armor for the mobs that can be dynamically scaled by the players in the area.  Health scaling would be harder to do, as you don't want the mob to lose or gain health as population fluctuates.  However, this one isn't core, as it would likely require the addition of new mechanics.

Maybe I think in too heavily in an RPG mindset, but these are the types of mechanics I envision for events and bosses.

• Like 1

I'll add this here instead of making a new post:

• Notification messages should display which Tier and/or zone the current event is taking place in.  I doubt many players have the coordinate system memorized and most players will see the message while in a dungeon, where the cartographer/shrine is not available to compare shrine x,y coordinates.
  • If possible, the shrine areas should be given names to distinguish between them.  Fort Katherine, Amethyst's Fortress, Ryan's Garrison, etc and these should be used in the alert message
Edited by BreadSlice
  • Like 1

Another add:  The Catapults dont seem to spawn at the T8 shrines.  Probably because of the amount of room outside the shrine area?

On 1/10/2019 at 11:30 PM, BreadSlice said:

As discussed in discord, my experience with the new content is a bit different.

Some of the general issues I have found:

End of Event is really unclear.

Having experienced the event a few times now, I can tell when it is over (I have loot and the Commander Text returns to normal), but there really isn't much of a cinematic or satisfying end to the event.

Defenders should be more noticeable

The only reason I noticed them was because they were stuck in the wall 😛

Bag drop is easy to miss

Again might relate to an anti-climatic finish to the event

Local Commander has a limit on donations and it does not accept raw materials or catalysts!  

My understanding was one of the major goals of this event was to consume excess low level material and catalysts.

Low level T2 resurgence event did not attack me (level 25) or the Local Commander

I'm not sure if this was a first event and was just bugged or because I was too high for the area, but none of the NPCS attacked myself or the commander.

Event Message does not seem to always appear in chat

I'm not sure if it shows if I am in an instance or there was some other communication problem affecting chat

No way to see where event is if you miss initial message

It becomes "whack a mole" travelling from zone to zone looking for the event if you miss the initial message or change characters and forget the coordinates.  Perhaps turn the active shrine "x" green?  Also turn a disabled shrine red?

X,Y coordinates in guard message say the string X,Y instead of coordinates

This next portion may be a bit bias based off my expectations and play style.  I was able to complete the T2 event in a giant mass, as well as a T2 event solo.  Again, during it, none of the mobs ever attacked.  When I tried to judge the difficulty of a T5 event, I ended up dying to what I assume was the very first shot of the catapult.  It was not initially attacking, so I walked out to meet it.  What I assume happened is the very first action was this "SpecialAttack" fireball, which killed me instantly before I saw any movement or the projectile itself.

Using data from the WIKI,  this T5 catapult can hit almost as hard as the T10 goliath.  The other attacks are within "typical" limits.  This doesn't seem great.  The developers did listen to many players, difficult content was added. However, the risk doesn't seem to match the reward.  Also, and this may sound unduly harsh,  I feel like simply adding a "mega" projectile without any bells and whistles is the minimum acceptable method to add difficulty to a fight.  It may be a much needed shot of adrenaline for geared players like Sephos who have grown bored in T10, but I don't think this is something that will draw new players in or bring back those that left. (Though to be fair, I'm not sure this specific event was meant to do either of those things)

It could be argued the catapult has an "ultimate" attack that should be avoided at all costs. This might be interesting, however, in my mind, it's not damage alone that should distinguish an attack.  An ultimate attack has some kind of build up.  Something that screams for everyone to backup, get away, or take some other action!  The catapult should be glowing, sirens should be going off.  The catapults hair should grow and turn blonde, all while screaming "Kamehameha".  Instead,  *plop*.  Like any other attack, it simply launches. There isn't any indicator the special attack is coming, and from reports it may simply fire it on a predictable cooldown (unconfirmed).  Also, it may even travel faster than the other projectiles it fires (again unconfirmed)

Having the player react to certain events and patterns would likely be an ideal game play feature.  It's hard to do with larger waves of mobs, as you can't guarantee where a players focus will be. However,  on bosses and events like this, the opportunity is there.  There is already a lot on the todo list, but I'd like to see many of the bosses revisited to add more reactionary mechanics and boss phases, rather than more of the same monotonous "fire and dodge".  

Hi hi Breadslice! We added a hotfix later in the day on Friday that sends out messaging when the Invasion has concluded, including a win/loss notification, but I totally agree - we could make something even more flashy to signal what happens. A cinematic would be amazing!

The defenders totally need an icon above their heads or something to draw attention to them - I'll put in a ticket~! Especially if the event draws a crowd... I feel similarly about the bag drop. Even an "!" would really help there.

You make a good point about the raw materials bit. Generally, we really wanted to give players who had outgrown their gear another way of disposing it that could result in better affixes or new gear to play with. Our other events accepted raw materials - perhaps there's something we could add to this event to have it accept raw materials as well. 

The event message/T2 bits sound like bugs, I'll ticket that up and pass it along accordingly. The (x/y) is a known bug and we're looking into a way of communicating the shrine location that feels less like you're using a GPS.

I agree that it would be nice to have something more persistent to indicate that an invasion is happening - maybe a "status effect" symbol that would appear on screen, and/or color coding the shrines like you suggested. I'll see what the team thinks might be a good solution for this one.

After more thought, I really want telegraphs in the game.  For those unfamiliar with the terminology, a video below:

... maybe not the best choice in example, as we all know the fate of that game.  However, the video is a decent example and I do like their telegraph indicator. I DON'T like how much they used it.  I don't want Survived By to feel like I'm at some underground rave, with strobe light all about.  However, I think indicators would be a first step in adding more interesting boss mechanics.

• Thanks 1

Haha we used to actually have a lot more of those "flashy" effects in the game - I think that in general, it's a good idea. Sometimes it's not obvious enough where an attack is going to hit, especially if we're going to be adding more character behaviors to the Heartlands. I'll make sure to share the video, I think it does a great job illustrating why this could be really helpful.