SushiNoW

SENTINEL SPECIAL ABILITY TOO OP?

Hey guys! As you all know sentinel special ability makes a circle where you and your allies regenerate hp and enemies and attacks can`t go through, sort like a shield. This breaks ANY BOSS MECHANIC  ((?), NOT TESTED). You just stand facing the boss and hit without moving. With a proper build, literally makes the best class in the game for tanking or dps. It´s versatility is by far the best one.

considering most bosses fire off a whole bunch of bullets at once, its likely theyll wipe a sentinels full energy bar in 1-2 shots depending on if he procs the "no energy consumed" and has a legacy that allows energy recovery.

still doesnt quite break boss mechanics but requires a massive time investment to actually achieve a situation where you lock down a boss

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, xuton said:

considering most bosses fire off a whole bunch of bullets at once, its likely theyll wipe a sentinels full energy bar in 1-2 shots depending on if he procs the "no energy consumed" and has a legacy that allows energy recovery.

still doesnt quite break boss mechanics but requires a massive time investment to actually achieve a situation where you lock down a boss

It is really easy to build up round enery recovery...sentinel is disgustingly unbalanced atm

That's just sort of it. Sentinel is currently the only proper tank in the game, if they added another one it probably wouldn't feel as nearly as bad.

And think about it like this: The specials on the other classes just aren't that good for DPS.

The Harbinger probably has it best without any gimmick and just raw damage, Infiltrator just drops a rotating AoE where you have to get in the middle of enemies to use it, Alchemists drop AoE puddles that can go over walls but don't really do the best damage, Geomancers have shitty rotating turrets that do a fraction of your crit damage and lag the game out and can be broken in a single hit in a bullet hell game and Druids have it worst by being a Bear that charges whenever you click.

Of course when you compare Sentinel, the only other balanced special is Harbinger which has literally no gimmicks. Infiltrator apparently can be stupidly broken by making you invincible with the stealth mechanic and probably would let you run right to the boss of a dungeon, but it needs a specific build of imprints to do this. Sentinel is LITERALLY made to survive and protect others, if its tanking ability was garbage, no one would use it and it'd be "Rising of the Shield hero" where the Sentinel is the reject.

But that's just me.

7 hours ago, SpectreKP said:

That's just sort of it. Sentinel is currently the only proper tank in the game, if they added another one it probably wouldn't feel as nearly as bad.

And think about it like this: The specials on the other classes just aren't that good for DPS.

The Harbinger probably has it best without any gimmick and just raw damage, Infiltrator just drops a rotating AoE where you have to get in the middle of enemies to use it, Alchemists drop AoE puddles that can go over walls but don't really do the best damage, Geomancers have shitty rotating turrets that do a fraction of your crit damage and lag the game out and can be broken in a single hit in a bullet hell game and Druids have it worst by being a Bear that charges whenever you click.

Of course when you compare Sentinel, the only other balanced special is Harbinger which has literally no gimmicks. Infiltrator apparently can be stupidly broken by making you invincible with the stealth mechanic and probably would let you run right to the boss of a dungeon, but it needs a specific build of imprints to do this. Sentinel is LITERALLY made to survive and protect others, if its tanking ability was garbage, no one would use it and it'd be "Rising of the Shield hero" where the Sentinel is the reject.

But that's just me.

thats the thing though. its not that hes amazing on his own its that with a proper build he is amazing.

other classes simply dont have a fully fleshed out special ability

geo does little to no damage and can be destroyed

alchemist can throw bottles over cover lets him do damage over time, and is actually good damage but useless on anything that moves.

infiltrator gains increased dodge chance and throws a dagger thingy which should do good damage if the shot blasts an enemy from inside, but again thats not likely with moving targets.

druid does the bear transformation which i like so far but dont really know how to put to good use

then there are harb who simply crits a lot and auto-aims, and sentinel who can wipe bullets

I just... said all that. .3.

I might've left out the part about the sentinel being great with a build, but I pretty much... just said all that.

32 minutes ago, SpectreKP said:

I just... said all that. .3.

I might've left out the part about the sentinel being great with a build, but I pretty much... just said all that.

true. i was trying to expand on their problems but i ended up repeating what you said D: tbh i think we'll have to wait and see whats coming with ancestry changes

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2019 at 7:52 PM, SpectreKP said:

I'm not sure if being a "tank" is a good reason for the strength of the Sentinel shield.  Ultimately, the game is more "bullet hell" than RPG and most of the damage can be avoided (though sometimes not easily).  If there were more unavoidable damage, or a boss required a specific player to hold aggro and take hits, I would agree.  However, currently a tank isn't required.  The game really doesn't have a healer either, so any RPG "Trifecta" arguments" are hard to make.

I think I'd agree that the Sentinel shield is one of the better feeling ultimates. However, with the energy reduction talents, it does seem pretty strong.  I'm not sure how you balance it though.  Have it only lower the damage within the shield by the Sentinels DR, and allow the projectile to continue?  Block the damage based off the DR, and if it is exceeded, it all goes to the Sentinels Energy?  Just a % based damage reduction? That last one certainly isn't as fun.

I'm not really a fan of the auto aiming of the Harbinger's Special either, I'd consider it VERY gimmicky.  But that is a bit of a tangent.  I wouldn't try to bring down the Sentinels ability purely because other classes have specials that don't feel as smooth or useful.  I would change other specials. This is probably a forethought in the Legacy changes.  What I would judge the Sentinel special on is how it affects gameplay and balance of boss mechanics, something I now feel like a crusader for.  This is where I think the Sentinel shield in its current form would start to cause issues.

Hi everyone! This has been really helpful to read - lots of great insights to share here. It looks like, in general, the feeling is that all of our classes' special abilities could use a little revisiting. That's a pretty large body of work, but it's possible that smaller adjustments could be made to their abilities for now, and "bigger changes" could be seen in the various subclasses that could be created with ALs in the overhaul.

If you had to choose ONE thing to adjust about the Sentinel's special, what would it be?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

As a sentinel main, I think it is perfectly balanced. Just kidding, energy loss should be based on damage blocked and have a way to scale that energy loss with damage with stats/equip. Also the invincible infiltrator build needs looked at too. 

• Like 1

Not a Sentinel main, but it might be cool to reduce the AOE effect by 25% and have the shield absorb a specific number of projectiles based on current energy. Once shield breaks then you got to refill on energy to get it back up again.

Or the Shield can be a different shape than a circle, for example a cone in front of him/180 degrees in front/shield shape around him that gives him the same benefits as current but doesn't fully protect all angles. I guess with this suggestion maybe you would have to consider that once the Sent uses the ability, he would be locked from moving but still able to rotate and could cast more "shields" around him given he had enough energy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1