SpectreKP

Is blue jade rarer than gold?

So the new mechanic with crafting and divying up ancestor's belongings for their kin via charms I assume in lore teleport to safety upon death makes me really happy to see, but one of the components is astonishingly rare to the point where in the natural process of bringing a character up from level 1 -> 25 (and grinding out 10 tier 6 keys and then doing said t6) only amounted to me getting 4 Blue jade out of the required 40 (+10 for any extra gear you want to keep in the event you died before storing it) and like... I had about 10 Waystone gems, when I needed like... 4.

It's like trying to mine for Gold, Platinum or Diamonds in places they don't naturally occur. I get that you don't want players to be able to easily save all their end tier gear and never have to grind again, but it sorta feels like you set the drop rate for blue jade to be about 0.6% or lower and left it. Early to Mid game players tend to have two goals: Kill off their characters in the well to get extra legacy space & get a ton of Valr to level up said legacies.

The process is made significantly longer when they can't bring anything beyond a single high tier and a bunch of low tiers, without of course sacrificing a ton of gear and having to grind that out again to just jump into the well once more. The fact that Blue jade exists seems like a good opportunity to bring in better gear, but the drop rates are so abysmal that someone realistically can't end up with 4 Waystone offerings as they reach level 25. I personally don't see a point in making blue jade rarer than it needs to be outside of purposefully having players sell them for stupid amounts of bloodstone, or to satisfy end-game players who really need to feel that burn from grinding.

As it stands, I don't think anyone will be able to have an excess of Blue jade for as long as they have characters to throw into the well. Literally the only players who could are the ones who have already gotten most of if not all of their grinding out several updates back when they probably could get about 120k Valr in a single trip and have all their legacy slots unlocked. So all they'd have to do is get the necessary 40 for every character and just not die as they stockpiled for the market for when it re-opens... which is kind of just a statement about the game's current "end-game" content.

Personally, I'm still mid-tier since I wasn't able to abuse the old dungeon mechanics where having 4+ players didn't turn enemies into literal brick walls you had to punch through like some people did and got really far. So I'm still stuck in the loop of slowly bringing up my legacy slots by 1 (currently at 32..), trying to get better gear (I have actually gone as far as t9 and beaten it, but t8 is my limit) and simply attempting to get enough silver and materials to unlock the final crafting slot to get access to t10 gear that I'll never be able to get without a month straight of grinding at the current point I am in and the current state of the game. My opinions simply stem from what I've heard and personal experiences, this whole post can simply be summed up as "I'd prefer it if blue jade was at least a little more common, considering the sheer amount needed for a single character's lifetime, with what I assume is a single use item."

• Like 1

I will state that a part of the reason why I'm going so slow with the legacy slots is partly because I've reached a point where all of my legacies are silver, gold or "platinum" in quality. (I still think gold trim with sort of a galaxy theme would've been better for the best legacies.) So I kinda have to keep chucking out ones I really want or chucking out ones I just simply don't have room for.

Blue Jade from Overworld activities has a
x1 3% chance from Hydra & T2 Dangerous Chest & T2 Bounty Elite.
x1 4% chance from Mirage Hunter & T3 Dangerous Chest & T3 Bounty Elite.
x1 5% chance from Boreal Shaman, Locus, Deepwater KrakenGorgon and all of their respective Dangerous Chests and Bounty Elites.

All the hardmode dungeons have the same drop chance (5%), but for a chance to get them in greater quantities:
If RNG is on your side, a hardmode boss or a hardmode dangerous chest can give you up to 6 Blue Jades.

Waystone Fragments, however, can only be earned by doing Challenges:
II is 15% reward chance.
III is 50% reward chance.
IV is 100% reward chance.

Edited by KararTY
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KararTY said:

That's still fairly low in terms of chances, and I'm unfortunately unable to safely do hardmode dungeons. Still, it pretty much just means the best place to grind pre-hardmode is T4-T6 where enemies are still decently weak and still give that 5%.

But damn... for what I assume is a 1 time use recovery charm, where you need 10 per is... brutal in terms of grinding.

Edited by SpectreKP

The Waystone Fragments limit how many offerings a single character can receive without Electrum, while the number and rarity of Blue Jade ensure enough Offerings to protect all of your gear isn't immediately available to you each time you reach 25 on a fresh character.

Remember, this is simply an additional method of gaining the former marked for kin effect provided via Offerings.  The new Offerings are still available via Electrum, and once the AH returns, they should be more accessible to players using a combination of both, the AH and Exchange to obtain enough Electrum currency.  I think the return of the AH and Exchange should quash any arguments about the grind, giving players the opportunity to both purchase Blue Jade AND the electrum to purchase the Offerings directly.

I'd assume it is both intentional and desirable to not allow players complete safety in doing dungeons.  On consideration of your post, I actually came to the conclusion I would take this a step further and limit the amount of offerings a player could buy with Electrum and hold at a time altogether. @hh_katherine @amethyst_hh I would suggest that death continue to allow one free item to be passed on to kin and limit the number of offerings a single character can hold to 3.  A capacity maximum of  3 Offerings ensures a player would lose at least 1 item on death.  I think it would be good for the overall health of the game that death never be completely inconsequential for the player.

I'll also add I agree with @Kelphaz opinions expressed in this video: 

The 25 bloodstone cost seems too steep.  If the game hadn't experienced the unfortunate duping issues at the start, I believe Bloodstone would be worth more than Electrum.  As Kelphaz said in the video, I think when the AH and Exchange return, this will be evident over time if the Bloodstone amounts remain... untampered.  Kind of an aside, but I'm still unsure if this will happen as quickly as it should.  I debate suggesting a high Bloodstone value cosmetic to pull away some of the existing Bloodstone in game without impacting any functional aspects of the game.  A limited time item, to increase desirability, will lower the artificially high amounts of Bloodstone in the economy.  The obvious suggests are some kind of Bloodstone Backpack or Bloodstone trail to suggest the player "overflowing" with Bloodstone and poke fun at the events. (The forums have again bugged and I can't add line breaks to the post..) @hh_katherine and @amethyst_hh

Edited by BreadSlice

Hi SpectreKP and friends! A few quick things to clear up first - there's a little confusion regarding Jade drop rates. Jade drop rates remain the same as you level your character, but the quantity awarded DOES increase. If you are a high level and are still awarded with only 1 Blue Jade when it's dropped, that's a bug that we'll have to fix. Also, @BreadSlice mentioned this briefly, but our new Offerings system still does give players one free Offering on death - so you'll always get to keep one item, just like we have now.

That aside, we totally agree @SpectreKP that some adjustment to these drop rates will be necessary. I've passed this thread along to some other folks and we'll be looking at ways to balance these rates so they're a little more attainable. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention! The reopening of the Auction House will help with this a lot too, so we're really looking forward to that.