Rehtael

Reht Ranting: Thoughts on the Current State of SB

Hey there Rehtael - totally understood. The high damage you're seeing here is from a bug. All of our mobs have incorrect crit defense, where in almost all cases damage is coming in 3x higher than it should be. That isn't perfectly uniform across all tiers, but the higher you go, the more of an issue it is. The bug will be fixed this Wednesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, hh_katherine said:

The high damage you're seeing here is from a bug

I'll hazard a guess that this is a known bug and I just didn't know about it. :oof:

No worries! It's something we discovered pretty recently. There were some other good points made in there too about enemy movement and behavior, which I know we plan on addressing soon. We're trying to target one new creature per update to fix, but that was postponed a bit - resuming that should mean that we see some improvements to enemy behavior. We also made the tools to spawn in beasts in groups that complement each other well. For example, if a spawner has 5 creatures come out of it, 2 would be long range, 2 would be short range, and one would be stationary. I don't believe we have put it into practice yet, but thats another goal.

• Thanks 1

Using thorns gear that levels with you... in a tier 5 area at close to max level, with a relatively strong imprinted weapon. Of course its going to be ez mode. Go to the higher tiers and you'll probably be looking at your gravestone.

While you make some agreeable points. I think you're rant is misguided.

1 hour ago, hh_katherine said:

damage is coming in 3x higher than it should be

Does that mean once it's fixed we'll do 3x less damage than we do now? That'll be an enormous change. For people who haven't maxed their gear and won't keep one-shotting most enemies after the fix anyway, that'll be a totally different game.

@Rehtael About speed, i don't agree that we're too fast. Maybe it can become an issue with imprints, charms, relics and everything maxed (i'm not there yet). But currently, when i start a new character and until i get to around lvl25 with T5+gear, the slugishness is almost unbearable. It's even worse when you're unlucky with imprints/drops and have to use a single shot weapon at 1-2 shots per second run after run... Boring. But maybe i'm too accustomed to fast shoot them ups.

On a side note, and if you can, maybe post a short text summary of your video, i think most people who can't afford to watch the whole 30 minutes would appreciate that.

Edited by Skrurg

15 minutes ago, Skrurg said:

Does that mean once it's fixed we'll do 3x less damage than we do now? That'll be an enormous change. For people who haven't maxed their gear and won't keep one-shotting most enemies after the fix anyway, that'll be a totally different game.

Yes, 3x is kind of the low end. Basically, everyone had 100% crit at level 25 with almost no gear required against even the highest mob in the game, Goliath.  After the change, at gear levels similar to what Rehtael had in this video, you would only be critting ~26% of the time against those mobs.

Three times is the low end because as you gained more willpower, your critical damage would increase, and you would benefit from this 100% of the time.  However, once the change hits, you will only benefit from your critical damage when you crit, which will be at a MUCH lower frequency.

Focus and Critical Chance will now be a desirable stat.

Edited by BreadSlice

Yep, this bug will be fixed which will adjust this area back to normal. It will feel very different for newer players who are accustomed to breezing through higher level areas, but that's definitely unintended and (as Rehtael showed) not very much fun! 

• Like 1

I see, thanks for the explanation.

If i understand correctly, it also means legacies related to critical hits (followup obviously, but not only) will be very strongly -and negatively- impacted too. Many of us spent dozens of hours unlocking and maxing these... With this AND the upcomming legacies/bullet pattern rework, which currently sound like a global nerf too, i fear many players will be discouraged to invest as much in the game. I know it's early access, but still.

Edited by Skrurg

4 hours ago, TILTEDpixul said:

Using thorns gear that levels with you... in a tier 5 area at close to max level, with a relatively strong imprinted weapon. Of course its going to be ez mode. Go to the higher tiers and you'll probably be looking at your gravestone.

While you make some agreeable points. I think you're rant is misguided.

Thorns stats are marginally stronger, and I do mean marginally, plus I deliberately didn't get any more thorns gear than boots (The ring and amulet were included in the supporter packs.) And I only got boots so I don't have to move at a snail's pace with new characters. And like I said, it's my first character, so I'm not getting any assistance from legacies, PLUS as demonstrated, a T3 bow. But granted, the bug made that irrelevant.

EDIT: Thorns gear also doesn't have any modifiers on it.

Edited by Rehtael