Sign in to follow this  
Genevah

So I died after not dying for about a month. It didn't feel good. Thoughts on meta progression and relics.

DISCLAIMER: The title contains the word feels so its not going to be 100% objective.

I downloaded the game because I love top down shooters and I love meta progression and though that progress through dying was fascinating. I ended up loving this game and purchased the supporter packs because I have the money to do it and I want the game to succeed.

I did the normal grind and died loads of times, I got the gear to run the old well and get enough valr to farm legacies. It was fun

I farmed probably over and over for a two months to get all those sweet legacies. Also fun.

I crafted the t10 equipment and used it to stockpile t9 relics while waiting for the relic patch so I could boost my main. Also fun.

I lost hundreds of relics by using them when they were still bugged on the day that patch released. Not fun but hey I understand early access means bugs and it didn't bother me.

I farmed t9 hundreds and hundreds more times to build back up those relics. It was fun.

I started farming t10 without using bugs or strats to be invincible. It was very fun. I felt like I was "getting good".

I knew it was coming but after about 6 weeks I died. It wasn't because of server issues I just didn't play well enough. It felt bad and I haven't really played since.

I'm back to where I was a month ago with nothing to show for it.

I spent some time thinking about why I don't feel like playing the game anymore and what would make me want to play again and I think I figured it out. There is no more meta progression for me that won't eventually be erased and it doesn't feel good and makes the game not fun for me. I have reached the point in the game where death is 100% bad. I got 30k valr from that death (mostly from the well leaderboard reward bug) and just clicked through the legacy card screen because 30k is a chance to get 2 more legacies that I don't need.

What would make me play again would be a way to increase my death reset baseline. The concept is already in the game as we can preserve certain pieces of gear by crafting those item conservation things. The legacies are permanent. How about this as a solution - put an item in the game that we can craft that will let us save our relic progression every 10 or 20 levels worth of relics up to lvl 60 or something. I am not proposing that 100% of relic progression has to be saved or that we should be able to lock in when we hit max relic level.

TLDR: I've no lifed this game enough that I cannot meaningfully progress without being reset to the same place every time I die. Prz fix

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Genevah said:

I have reached the point in the game where death is 100% bad.

Chief, this right here is it. I see this being the general feeling of people who've played a lot.

Edited by KararTY

Hi @Genevah! First - thank you for playing the game so much, that's awesome. I'm glad that, for the most part, it was a positive experience. I think your feelings are very valid and that we can absolutely improve on how we handle progression/death. I also really appreciate the way that you broke things down - seeing what did/didn't work for you at each stage is super helpful for us, and really allows us to evaluate exactly where those point points are. Now, onto relics...

It definitely seems like the relic overhaul will need some additional thought. Yes, you are able to become far more powerful than was possible before, but as you mentioned... dying and losing allll those relics does NOT feel good. Several ideas have been proposed for this: making relic benefits work differently, but make them account bound. Convert the number of relics consumed into some kind of bloodstone or valr amount that is awarded on death. But, yours is looking at it from a new angle.

22 hours ago, Genevah said:

Put an item in the game that we can craft that will let us save our relic progression every 10 or 20 levels worth of relics up to lvl 60 or something.

I definitely appreciate that the proposal doesn't involve saving all progress, because that might not be something that we could accomodate - but this is interesting, and I like that it has a cap and mini thresholds for players to reach. I'll ticket it up as a suggestion to this problem and we'll evaluate possible solutions. Regardless of which one is picked, I think that you're right - the game could benefit from more satisfying meta-progression. I do hope that this will be addressed at least a little bit with our Ancestral Legacy/subclass update. In the meantime, thank you so much for sharing and letting me know your thoughts!

• Confused 1